Monday, October 13, 2008

Hiram, Ohio


So earlier last week as I was reading the Priesthood/Relief Society lesson for yesterday, I decided we should make a trip over to Hiram, Ohio and visit the John Johnson home. This is where Joseph Smith received revelation regarding the three degrees of glory. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 76). It was also the Church Headquarters during the year that Joseph Smith lived there. I love being so close to these Church History sites. It has been so nice to visit them and feel the spirit there and be reminded of the faith of the early Saints. This was the Johnson's "dream home" that they had built, but yet they were willing to share it with the Prophet and other church members. They even sold over 200 acres of their farmland and gave the proceeds to the church to help purchase land for the temple in Kirtland.

It is also very humbling to be in the room where Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father appeared to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon. I love verses 22-24 in section 76 of the Doctrine and Covenants: "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God." I love that! Such a powerful testimony of the Savior! I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God and that he restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth!



The John Johnson Home was in such a cute little town. And it was especially beautiful this time of year! There were pumpkin patches all through the town and the leaves on the trees were all changing color...so beautiful!



One last thing...our countdown until baby is here is in the single digits now! I never thought this day would come. We are getting really excited and anxious to have her here! The crib is set up, the car seat is installed, and all the onesies are washed. We are definitely ready! Any guesses on when she'll make her debut?? We'll keep you posted!

9 comments:

heidi said...

this post gave me chills. what a fun and inspiring trip!

Jessica said...

hey! i just taught that lesson in relief society yesterday! one of these days we need to get around to seeing the sites here. fall is such a beautiful time of year to do it. i love all the colors here!

and question. is this an official contest for guessing when the baby is due? are there prizes involved? well, even if not, i'll make my official guess of October 17th at 9:30 PM. should we guess size and length as well? if so, then i say 8 lbs 4 oz and 21 1/2 inches long.

love ya! and i had no idea you were addicted to circle k. thats good to know...

Emily C said...

thanks for bearing your testimony. it touched me too!

i would love to go visit the church sites.

and those leaves are gorgeous. i really would do anything to be there right now, especially sine i'm sitting here at work right now.

my official ballot:
October 20th
2:30am EST
8 lbs 2 oz
20.5 inches

Anonymous said...

oct 31
5:34 p.m.
9lbs
3 oz
23 in long
11 toes
happy halloween

Corey said...

I love the John Johnson farm! I would visit there all the time with my singles ward while I was in college. We'd watch Saturday sessions of conference and then change clothes and pick apples in between the sessions. It's such a beautiful farm and I have so many wonderful memories from there.

We can't wait for the little one to arrive and are so excited for you guys. My guess it October 20th 7:20am, 7#14oz and 20ins.

Emily C said...

happy halloween

Paula said...

How fun. It is cool that you live around so many historical church sites. Since you are already making some progress I would say October 18th at 5:00 p.m. I am also guessing a smaller baby since you are so little-7lbs. even.

Heather said...

SO EXCITING! Can't wait to hear about your little girl! And Ohio looks BEAUTIFUL. I love that you guys are getting out and exploring and taking advantage of being there....the time goes by so fast, have to enjoy it while it lasts!

Emily C said...

looks like i'm a winner!! i guessed October 20th - which is the closest date to October 24th!! YAY!!!