Thursday, May 20, 2010

Don't Flip Flop

At church I'm second counselor in Young Women so I'm in charge of the Beehives (12-13 year olds). They really wanted to do a "summer craft" and one girl suggested decorating flip flops with fabric. Well, I've seen those and sometimes they just look kind of messy. But I came across these flip flops embellished with balloons, so that's what I decided we'd do.

The theme for the month is Divine Nature, so I had to think of a way to relate that with flip flops. :) So I came up with"Don't flip flop on who you are!" We talked about "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" especially the line that says, "All human beings -male and female- are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny."

I loved looking on LDS.org for talks that pertained to our topic because most of them had to do with womanhood and motherhood and that's something I've really been thinking about. I am so thankful that I get to be a mother and that Heavenly Father is trusting me with his special spirit children. Here are some of the quotes I put on their handout...

"I would charge you to say again and again to yourselves...'I am a (son or daughter) of God’ and by so doing begin today to live closer to those ideals which will make your life happier and more fruitful because of an awakened realization of who you are.”
President Harold B. Lee

"To mothers, daughters, and women everywhere, let me stress the fact that because of your great potential and influence for good in the lives of all of us, Satan is determined to destroy you. You cannot compromise with him. You must have the courage, the strength, the desire, and the determination to live as the Lord would have you live – good clean lives. Girls, keep yourselves virtuous and worthy of a fine young man who has likewise kept himself clean, so that together you can go to the House of the Lord to be sealed in the holy bonds of matrimony for time and all eternity, and prepare a home where God will be pleased to send his spirit children."
N. Eldon Tanner

“Woman is God’s supreme creation. Only after the earth had been formed, after the day had been separated from the night, after the waters had been divided from the land, after vegetation and animal life had been created, and after man had been placed on the earth, was woman created; and only then was the work pronounced complete and good.

“Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth.”
President Gordon B. Hinckley

And Jessie, you inspired me with your doggie cake for Naomi's birthday and I embarked on making a "fancy" cake, too! :) Here's the end result. It was fun, and now I'm excited to try out other fun cakes when my kids have birthdays.


Here are my cute Beehives!

5 comments:

heidi said...

wonderful. amazing. inspiring. fantastic post. oh, how i wish i could be in young womens.

Jessica said...

me, too. i wish i were in young women's. also, i love how you tied it in with "don't flip flop on who you are" -- that is awesome. now i really want some cake...

oh and "you grow girl"? hahahahahaha. that is hilarious. how have i not seen that yet?

Megan Bush said...

Those are such cute, creative ideas! And I loved the quotes about motherhood/womanhood. It would be fun to serve in YWs.

JoshandJen said...

Love the quotes! And love the cake, isn't it so much fun, Heather B. got me hooked on making them...and it so cheaper too :) natilie used to have a pair of balloons flip flops, way to go with an awesome lesson!

mama said...

can't wait to play with eleanor!!!