Saturday, August 14, 2010

She's Here!

My water broke on Thursday so Andrew and I headed in to the hospital after we put Eleanor down to bed. We got there around 7:30 but we had to wait forever to be put in a triage room because it was so busy and since I wasn't in "labor" I wasn't really a priority. We finally got into a room around 8:30 and they checked to make sure it was really amniotic fluid that was leaking and sure enough it was! I was worried they would just send me home because it wasn't the real thing. They admitted us and we were finally put in a labor and delivery room around 9:30. I was still only 4 cm dilated so they had us walk around a little while to see if that would get my contractions going.

That didn't really work so they started some pitocin around 11, and then I got my epidural around midnight. The epidural seemed a lot more painful and uncomfortable this time around than with Eleanor, but I'm sure it was better than having contractions. After they were done putting in the epidural I was able to take a little cat nap. But then I woke up having a lot of pressure which I thought was just more contractions so I kept pushing the button to get more epidural juice. A nurse came in a little after that and asked how I was doing and I told her about the pain I was having that wouldn't go away so she checked me and said I was complete and ready to push. They had me do a couple of practice pushes and said, oh there's her head. I couldn't believe it! I pushed for almost two hours with Eleanor, so I thought I'd at least be in for an hour or so this time around. Not so much - after only about 8 minutes of pushing she was here!
Penelope Kate
August 13th @ 2:30 am
9 lb 4 0z and 21 3/4 inches

She weighed the same amount as Eleanor but was about an inch longer. I think they look a lot alike. Penelope's cheeks aren't as chubby but they have the same lips and chin. She is so sweet and has just done a lot of sleeping. I feel really great and can't believe it happened so quickly. I didn't tear at all and I don't even feel like I had a baby. I feel so blessed to have had such a smooth delivery and to have our healthy little baby here. I'm too lazy to post pictures to blogger and comment on each one, so here's a link to some pictures I uploaded yesterday, and I'm sure you can figure out a caption for each one :)
Here are some pictures we took today on our first day home as a family of 4 :)
Eleanor was really excited about the baby at first, but this just about sums up how she feels about her now...
Aren't newborns just so precious?! We love our little Penelope!



17 comments:

James and Jessica Ford said...

hooray, hooray, hooray! I can't believe it! You went all on your own! Awesome, awesome, awesome! I am so glad that you are home and done! The best feeling in the world! congrats. Eleanor is going to be in heaven in about, oh, 3 years! I am so, so, so happy for you. I am writing in threes just to emphasize my excitement, can you tell.

Rasmussen Family said...

Wow sarah, she is so precious!!

Sharlyn said...

Congrats! Sounds like everything went great! She is adorable!

JoshandJen said...

I am with Jessie, I am SOOOOO happy she is finally here, I LOVE the pictures, she is adorable, I am so glad that it all went smooth and fast, Eleanor will be such an awesome big sister! That last picture reminds me of one we took of Delaney in the hospital...what a cute little love muffin....Can't wait to hold her...Let me know if you need anything!

Jessica said...

she's a cutie! i love the color pic of her and you in the very last set. she's adorable. i'm glad everything went smoothly for you. i wish we were still in cincinnati so we could come and visit. :(

love ya!

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Congratulations! She's absolutely adorable. I'm so glad everything went smoothly!

Janelle said...

So cute congrats. Ps where did you get the headband I have been dying to buy or make one but can't find the right stuff

Emily C said...

i love the picture of you of all 4 of you on the sofa.

and you look so pretty in the black and white photo of you just you and penelope.

i'm so glad penny is here safely. i wish i could see her in person and hold her and kiss her. enjoy everyday. it goes fast. in just 4 1/2 short months she will already be a different grown-up baby. :)

Emily C said...

and i think the pink tulips fit penelope well. oh she is so cute.

Sunnie said...

what a sweet baby! she is so cute! i love all her hair! congrats and i love the name!

Heather said...

Congrats! I am glad this little girl finally made her entrance into the world. I am thrilled how things went for you too. Way to go mamma! She is beautiful too.

Mary A. said...

Congratulations to your family! I am so happy for you all. Your pictures couldn't be any cuter! Call any time you need extra help with Miss Eleanor, we're happy to help.

Mary Allen said...

Congratulations to your family! I am so happy for you all. Your pictures couldn't be any cuter! Call any time you need extra help with Miss Eleanor, we're happy to help.

The Wilkins Family said...

Congratulations Whitman family... the new addition is beautiful! Definitely looks like her older sister :)

Carolyn said...

hooray!!!! She is so cute!!! glad you're doing well. congrats and a big hug!!!!

Spencer said...

That's wonderful! Congrats Sarah & Andrew!

the Getschers said...

Whoa, I had no idea you were pregnant! I need to check your blog more often! Penelope is gorgeous and your little family is gorgeous. Have fun with those precious girls.