Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mardi Gras Mambo


Eleanor and I escaped snowy Ohio and went home to New Orleans last week. I was a little nervous to travel alone with her and I was too cheap to pay to check my baggage, so I had to lug my suitcase and diaper bag and baby around the airports all by myself. Eleanor did really well and people (NOT the flight attendants, they weren't helpful at all but that's another story for another day) were pretty good about helping me put my bag overhead when boarding the plane.

We were there for Mardi Gras and my little brother's birthday. We had so much fun and I REALLY enjoyed wearing flip flops all week. Our church is on St. Charles Avenue, the street all the parades pass on, so we got to hang out there with friends and bbq and watch the parades. Here is a glimpse of what a mardi gras parade is like...
It's weird to think that the whole city shuts down meanwhile, the rest of the world has to go to work and school! Gotta love the big easy.
More pictures...
(lots of people dress up on mardi gras day)




Ok, Andrew said I have to explain these because he had no idea what the deal was when he saw them. Basically people make these ladders with a seat on them for little kids. Ideally, an adult stands behind the kid and they yell for beads and just hang out during the parade.



My sister Amy with Eleanor
Eleanor really got into mardi gras :)

For my little brother Jacob's birthday we got crawfish and went to the park to chow down. It's not quite crawfish season so they were pretty little. But they were still DELICIOUS! mmmm mmmmm.

We also went and picked him out some new glasses and Eleanor thought she'd pick out a pair, too.

We finally came home and had ice cream cake to celebrate Jacob's 12th birthday!

We had such a fun time and were sad to leave, BUT happy to get back to Andrew who had to go to school all week while we were gone playing.

On a side note, here is a little video of Eleanor. I tried to get a video of her sucking on her bottom lip, a new trick she's being doing lately.

1 comment:

heidi said...

flight attendants are completely unhelpful when you are traveling with small children. i once had one tell me that i needed to MAKE reagan stop screaming. because MAKING your children do things is completely possible in a difficult situation.
i want to come with you on your next trip to new orleans! that looks fantastic!!!