The 4 year "anniversary", I guess you could call it, just passed of my car accident that ripped open my arm. And if that would have never happened, I really don't think I would be where I am today. So as crazy as it sounds, I'm glad that car accident happened :)

We (me, my sister, brother-in-law, my niece and nephew) were driving down to Southern California from Provo for my sister Emily's wedding. About 2 hours into our drive two big semi trucks passed each other and we caught a big gust of wind from it and starting fishtailing (it was snowing). Well we went off the road and rolled and landed like this... (lucky for that fence back there that stopped us, otherwise we might have kept rolling)

While rolling, my arm either went through the window, or the window broke and landed on my arm and sliced it open like this...

Fortunately everyone else was fine. I got over 100 stitches and got all wrapped up...

and we headed back to Provo and flew to Orange County for my sister's wedding...

My niece Grace was really curious about the sling. (I think she was probably about Eleanor's age in this picture)

It was my last semester at BYU. My major was Actuarial Science (a little bit of statistics, mathematics, and economics) and my classes required a lot of writing/doing math problems, and since I couldn't use my right arm I had to withdraw from all my classes and thereby delay graduating. I moved home and went to physical therapy to regain strength and mobility in my arm. There was some nerve damage and parts of my arm are actually still numb to this day.
Here is what the scar looked like then and now.
About a month after the accident...

About 4 years after the accident...
It's amazing how resilient our bodies our!
Anyway, back to the story... Two of my classes were only offered Winter semester, so I went back to BYU for the whole school year. And this my friends, is when I met Andrew. If I would have graduated when I was supposed to, I had tentatively planned to move down to California and live the high life and become some big shot Actuary and wear suits and high heels everyday :) But Heavenly Father had a different plan for me!
So, in a nutshell, because of the accident I was at BYU a year longer than planned, I met Andrew, we got married, he applied to Law Schools (and actually only applied to Akron because he had an application fee waiver), and we ended up here in Akron, Ohio of all places! And now I am lucky enough to be in a great ward and have awesome friends!
5 comments:
O.K seriously. Did you have to post the arm picture. i seriously almost passed out! It's amazing how hot you look just right after at the wedding. What fun siblings you have.
ok, I changed the title to give everyone a warning :)
Oh my word Sarah!!! You are such a trooper! I am so glad that nothing worse happended in that accident and that you stayed at BYU and met Andrew and married him and decided to stay married to him when he got accepted to law school in Akron, OH and that we have had the privilage of getting to know our friends and neighbors, the Whitmans! Did you get all of that? Anyways, you take care of yourself and never hesitate to call for anything.
I get super emotional everytime I think of the car accident . I'll never forget the phone call I got from Jessica the morning before my wedding day- she was crying saying y'all got in a car accident and the van flipped and your arm was cut open really bad. I cried and prayed that entire day while at work. I'm so glad it all was okay and they could fix your arm. And that all of you could still somehow Miraculously make it to my wedding. Love you forever and ever
Holy cow Sarah, I had no idea that happened to you!!! I am so glad nothing worse happened, and personally I think the picture of your arm is wicked, love it!! ( I know that might sound wierd, but that's why I am studying the nursing field, I should become a surgeon :) and you do look great in that picture for just going through that...I am so glad things have a way of working out and you scored some blessings that come from those trials...we are all glad you are here in Ohio, you guys rock!
Post a Comment